Mentors are experienced head teachers, assistant directors, program coordinators, directors, and others who have agreed to provide guidance and support to the apprentice. Mentors have extensive experience working with young children and have a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or a related field. They are willing to provide ongoing support and on-the-job mentoring to the apprentice, and submit monthly documentation of observations and assessments to VTAEYC.
Requirements for mentors:
- Have the experience and education to enable them to be a good role model
- Have a minimum of a Level IIIB on the Northern Lights @ CCV career ladder (AA degree in Early Childhood Education or a minimum of 18 college credits directly related to ECE)
- Want an opportunity to share their experience and expertise with a co-worker
- Commit to the apprentice training program, which includes weekly activities such as formal assessments and meetings with your apprentice to discuss your observations
- Mentors also agree that supervision and assessment within the Vermont Early Childhood Education Apprenticeship program will be part of their work. VTAEYC cares about the development of early childhood educators at all levels and works to ensure the framework for this educational support meets the needs of the “apprentice team” of apprentice and mentor. Both are truly partners learning and working together.
- Must work on-site with the apprentice they are mentoring
What are the benefits for Mentors?
- Attend mentor training at no cost with the option to receive credit
- Develop leadership and mentoring skills while supporting their apprentice mentee
- Use their knowledge and experience to support and guide their mentee’s professional development and examine best practices for working with children from a new perspective
- Are eligible for stipends up to $1200 annually for timely completion of mentoring activities and submission of documentation to VTAEYC by the 10th of each month
- Receive the appreciation for a job well done and growth as a leader in your profession!