The Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program for Vermont’s early childhood educators provides up to $4,000 annually to reduce the student debt of full-time educators who earned an early childhood-specific degree within the last five years.
Awards are given on a first come, first served basis. Applications are accepted from May 2, 2022 until grant funds are expended.
This is Vermont’s first student loan debt relief program for early childhood educators. It was established in May, 2021 when Vermont Act 45 was signed into law.
VTAEYC is hosting a webinar series about student loans and the new repayment assistance program. To learn more and register, click here. These webinars are free and open to the community.
If you have questions or would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participants receive up to $4,000 per year to pay down student loan debt.
- Funds may offset monthly payments AND may be used to pay down the total amount owed.
- Funds are distributed quarterly.
- Participants must work in a privately operated center-based early childhood education program or in a home program regulated by the Child Development Division (CDD).
- Participants must work at their program at least an average of 30 hours per week for 48 weeks of the year.
- Participants’ annual salary from their program is $50,000 or less.
- Participants must have earned an associate or bachelor’s degree on or after January 1, 2017 in one of the following major concentrations:
- Early childhood
- Child and human development
- Elementary education
- Special education with a birth to age 8 focus
- Child and family services
- Participants must provide sufficient documentation regarding the amount in incurred loans.
- Participants may not simultaneously participate in a T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® Vermont scholarship program nor in the VSAC-administered scholarship program for early childhood educators.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted year-round. Awards are first come first serve. Apply between May 1 and July 1, 2022 to ensure eligibility for all four quarterly award payments.
Prepare to apply:
● Gather the required documents (see checklist here).
● Alert your supervisor, who will be asked to verify your employment.
● Determine how much you will request up to a maximum of $4,000/year ($333/month).
● Visit https://webportalapp.com/sp/login/vtaeyc to create a login and password.
● Complete the pre-screening questionnaire.
● Complete the online application including uploading any required documents. You are able to save the application as a draft and return to your application at any time.
● Submit your application. You will receive a confirmation email letting you know it has been successfully submitted.
Once submitted, VTAEYC staff will review your application and may request additional information or clarification if necessary. VTAEYC aims to review all completed applications within 35 days. If all eligibility requirements are met and all information is complete, an Award Notice will be sent to your email address.
Watch the informational video: Student Loan Basics
Watch the informational video: Introduction to the Student Loan Repayment Program for Early Childhood Education Graduates