The Teacher Associate supports a classroom under the supervision of the Head Teacher in implementing quality early childhood programs. The Teacher Assistant plays a valuable role to the Early Childhood Program by participating in the development and execution of curricular programs, establishing professional relationships with families, enriching and nurturing the lives of the children and assisting in maintaining a neat and organized classroom.
Skills and Competencies
- Work with teachers to implement quality early childhood programs, reflecting the philosophy of the child care program.
- Assist with lesson planning and leading assigned activities.
- Assist in the supervision of all activities to ensure the safety of each child at all times.
- Work with the teachers to maintain a neat and organized classroom and assist in the maintenance of equipment and materials as needed.
- Assist teachers in activities outside the classroom, such as playground or field trips, as necessary.
- Communicate appropriate information to the classroom teachers and the director.
- Communicate child concerns with classroom teacher and/or director prior to notifying parents or guardians.
- Ensure professional communication and relations with parents, families and guardians.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Supervise nap time with the teachers by helping children rest if necessary and/or accomplish work within the classroom if the children are resting comfortably.
- Assist in maintaining all relevant state Child Care Licensing requirements.
- Maintain prompt hours, notify the teacher/director in the event of illness, maintain a neat, clean, and appropriate appearance and work cooperatively with all staff.
- Must qualify as a Teacher Associate per the Child Care Licensing regulations for the state of Vermont.
- An Associate Degree from an accredited college with a major or concentration in Early Childhood, Child or Human Development, Elementary Education and twelve (12) months experience working with groups of children from grade three or younger.
- Minimum: Certificate of Completion from the Registered Child Care Apprenticeship Program, a Child Care Certificate from the Community College of Vermont or successful completion of twenty-one (21) college credit with an early childhood focus and at least twelve months experience.